As with all surgical procedures, it takes time to recover after breast enlargement. The best thing you can do for yourself in the first few weeks after surgery is to get plenty of rest and take care of your body. When your body has the time to heal properly, you will set yourself up for the best possible outcome.
During the first week of recovery, you’re not going to feel like doing much more than relaxing on the couch. Take advantage of this rare opportunity and treat yourself to some much-needed downtime. Forget about your routine chores and tasks. Instead, curl up with a good book or watch some movies you’ve been wanting to see.
The following tips will help you prepare for a smooth recovery after breast enlargement.
Create a Comfortable Area to Rest and Relax
When you get home after breast augmentation, the last thing you will want to do is set up a comfortable spot to relax. It’s best to do this before going into surgery so that you can lie down and rest from the moment you get home.
You should set up two recovery areas – one in your bedroom and one in your living room. Stock both areas with plenty of pillows so that you can sit comfortably at a 45-degree angle (this is the optimal position to help reduce swelling and bruising). You should also put a few blankets on the couch so that you can fall asleep easily if you are tired.
When preparing your comfort areas, keep the following items on-hand:
- A book to read
- Some DVDs (if you are old-school and don’t use any streaming services)
- Lip balm
- Bottles of water (hydration is important after surgery)
- Phone charger (make sure you don’t have to bend down to plug in your phone)
- Ice packs (these will help reduce swelling)
Prepare Meals in Advance
You most likely won’t feel up to cooking immediately after breast enlargement, but you also shouldn’t eat crappy take-out food. Proper nutrition is crucial to helping your body heal after surgery. The best thing you can do is prepare a few healthy meals prior to your procedure that you can easily reheat while you recover.
Keep the following in mind when preparing post-surgery meals:
- Cook healthy food. Your body needs lots of protein and nutrients to fuel your recovery. Prepare balanced meals that contain a good mix of fruits, vegetables, protein and healthy grains.
- Avoid spicy foods. This may upset your stomach while you are under the lingering effects of anesthesia or taking narcotic pain medication.
- Dishes such as soup, casseroles and mashed potatoes are great options because they are easy to reheat.
- Keep a variety of healthy snacks on-hand to graze on if you get hungry in between meals.
Clear Your Schedule of Any Household Chores
You most likely won’t feel up to doing much immediately after surgery. The less responsibility you have during the first week or two of your recovery, the better. The following tips will help ensure you are able to focus on relaxing after breast augmentation:
- Leave all work projects at a good stopping point – While you may think about work periodically, you don’t want to be checking emails, sitting at your computer or doing other things that can increase your stress levels while you’re recovering.
- Complete household chores before surgery – Don’t leave yourself with loads of laundry to do, a sink full of dirty dishes, or a house that needs cleaning. Spend a few days taking care of these chores before surgery so that you can relax when your home.
Arrange for Help Around the House
While you can tackle some chores before your breast enlargement procedure, there are certain items that must be done every day:
- Taking care of the children (feeding, bathing, getting them ready for school)
- Driving your children to school and to after-school activities
- Taking care of the pet
Make sure you have someone around the house to help you with these items for a few weeks. You may also need to ask someone to help you with errands such as grocery shopping until you feel up to driving.
Contact our Lexington Breast Surgeons
Please contact Plastic Surgeons of Lexington using the form on this page or call 859-276-3883 today to schedule a breast enlargement consultation. We serve patients in Lexington, Frankfort, Georgetown and the surrounding areas of Kentucky.